The San Diego Flute Guild invites you to compete in our highly esteemed Young Artist Competition.
First Place Prize: $1000
Second Place Prize: $500
Third Place Prize: $250
Entry Fees, Eligibility, Requirements, & Obligations
- The SDFG Young Artist Competition is open to flutists age 18-30 (as of April 13th, 2019).
- Entry Fee: $55 (does not include SDFG Membership Fee, and is non-refundable*).
- *All entrants must be members of the San Diego Flute Guild (may join with entry).
- First Place Prize Winners from previous years are not eligible.
- Finalists (and their pianists) must be available to perform live for the adjudication panel on Saturday, April 13th, 2019.
- First, Second, and Third Place Prize Winners (and their pianists) must also be available to perform on Sunday, April 14th, 2019 at the San Diego Flute Guild Spring Festival Winners’ Recital.
- Finalists are responsible for arranging and providing payment for their own pianists. Upon entry, the SDFG will provide a list of local pianists. It is each finalist’s responsibility to contact, determine availability for rehearsals and performances, and approve (for your own use) any pianists on the provided list. Finalists are also responsible for setting up any and all rehearsals with their collaborative pianists.
Registration & Deadlines
Before you can register, you must first create an account and become a SDFG member.
- Complete the online membership and registration forms, and email your recordings and headshot by the February 1st, 2019 (midnight PST) deadline.
- Six Finalists and two Alternates will be chosen, and all competitors will be notified by February 21st, 2019 with results.
- Finalists are required to submit a completed Confirmation of Intent and Agreement to Terms and Conditions by March 1st, 2019 (midnight PDT) via email.
- Finalists are required to submit the name and contact email of their collaborative pianists by March 15th, 2019 (midnight PDT).
Failure to meet any of the above deadlines may result in forfeiture of your Finalist position.
Preliminary RECORDED Round Repertoire
Entrants are to submit an audio recording of the following compulsory pieces:
Final Round Repertoire & Program
Six finalists will perform the following selections from the recorded preliminary round:
- G.P. Telemann – Fantasie No. 9 in E Major for solo Flute (no repeats)
- Eugène Bozza – Image for Solo Flute (Leduc)
In addition to the unaccompanied pieces above, contestants will choose *one* of the following pieces (in its entirety) to perform live with a pianist:
Bohuslav Martinu – First Sonata for Flute and Piano (Associated Music Publishers), or
Flute World | Carolyn Nussbaum
Carl Reinecke – Undine Sonata for Flute and Piano, (Schott/Universal - Weiner Urtext),
or, Flute World | Carolyn Nussbaum
Charles-Marie Widor – Suite Opus 34 for Flute and Piano (G. Henle Verlag Urtext)
Flute World | Carolyn Nussbaum
HEADSHOT & RECORDING REQUIREMENTS
Headshots and recordings should be submitted via email to the SDFG Young Artist Competition Coordinator, no later than February 1st, 2019 (midnight PST).
- Please send your photo as a square, high resolution, black and white .jpg file.
- Please use your first and last name as the file name. (i.e. Sally.Smith.jpg)
- Recordings must be in MP3 or MP4 audio format (no videos will be accepted as this is an anonymous round).
- For identification purposes, name your files as your first initial and last name followed by the composer’s name (i.e. S.Smith.Bozza.mp3)
- Please do not talk or identify yourself in any way on your submitted recordings.
- The two pieces must be submitted as one audio file each (two tracks total).
- Recordings must be complete and unedited (recording breaks between movements are acceptable).
Note: All recorded files will be coded and numbered for anonymity before being submitted to the Preliminary Recorded Round adjudication panel.
Should you have any questions or require further information, feel free to contact San Diego Flute Guild
Feel free to click on the image for a PDF Poster for sharing.