Spring Festival - April 14, 2019
The Spring Festival is next week and we are excited to be hosting our Guest Artist, Leone Buyse! Many of you have been hard at work preparing for competitions, where your countless hours of practicing and preparing for the festival will be featured. We hope that this upcoming experience will be rewarding!
Please visit the Spring Festival page for the event's schedule. Below are a couple of reminders and special notes for this year's festival:
Parking is extremely easy and is FREE this year!
- Turn on the campus' main entrance on Mission Road
- Parking Lots #1 & #2 will be directly in front of you when you enter, with Building D and the Howard Brubeck Theatre on your left
No special parking permit is needed and will be free for all participants and attendees.
For more information visit our Parking page.
NO LUNCH Provided
There are no lunch options on Palomar College's campus. However, there are numerous restaurants and shopping centers within short driving distance from the school. With parking being a breeze, there should not be any difficulty leaving and returning for lunch. Attendees may order food for carry-out and bring it back to the festival.
Performance Schedules Sent to Teachers
All teachers have received their studio's performance schedule. If you are unsure about when your performance time is, please contact your teacher. Note that there is a scheduled warm up and performance time.
Teachers: if you have not received a schedule of your students' performances, please contact email@example.com
Sessions NOT to be Missed
We advise taking a little time now to plan out your day in advance to get the most out of this year's festival. These events are open to all attendees:
- Morning Warm-Up with Dr. Alina Windell [8:30-9:15AM]
- With all the events starting in the morning, it may be difficult to find time to warm-up prior to your performance. Attend the morning warm-up lead by Dr. Alina Windell! Dr. Windell is a highly-acclaimed flutist praised for her vibrant sound and powerful musicality. For more information about Dr. Alina Windell, please visit our Featured Artists page.
- Young Artist Winners Recital [11:00-11:45AM]
- This recital features the winners of this year's Young Artist Competition. These flutists have come from across the country to compete in our premiere competition.
- Music for Flute & Electronics [12:00-12:45PM]
- The flute is a very popular instrument for contemporary composers. Combining electronics and the versatility of the instrument, come to this to delve into contemporary music. This session features compositions from students of Dr. Madelyn Byrne at Palomar College
- Masterclass with Leone Buyse [1:00-2:30PM]
- Four flutists have been selected to perform for Leone Buyse. Masterclasses are valuable in your growth as a musician. Event though you may not be performing there is an incredible amount of information to learn from observing others.
- The Orange County School of the Arts Flute Ensemble Recital [3:00-3:45PM]
- Ever seen an ensemble featuring all flutes? Come to the Orange County School of the Arts Flute Ensemble to attend a recital featuring all the members of the flute family: piccolo, alto, bass, and much more!
- Recital with Leone Buyse [4:00-5:00PM]
- Featured Guest Artist, Leone Buyse, will be presenting a recital. Composers featured include Hindemith, Telemann, and Bartok. Don't miss this!
- Awards Ceremony [5:00-5:30PM]
- We conclude the festival with the awards ceremony. Please plan to attend to receive your medal and to be in a photo-op that will be featured on our website and our social media handles. In addition, performers who receive a gold medal, first, second, third, or honorable mention in any of our divisions will be invited to perform in the Winners' Recital!
Winners' Recital at EVE Encinitas
April 28, 2019 ~ 2:00-4:00 PM
Performers who receive a gold medal, first, second, third, or honorable mention in our Spring Festival are invited to showcase their best performance in this recital. Don't let all your hard work end with the adjudicators on the festival day! Showcase your high-quality performance to a full audience at a beautiful venue.
This event is free and open to the public, so please invite family, friends, and others to come.
June 26-30th, 2019
With April here, it's the perfect time to figure out your summer plans! Our SDFG Summer Camp is a perfect way to keep up your skills during the long summer months. We'll have guest teachers, masterclasses, and improve your chamber music skills through ensemble playing. The whole experience culminates in a concert for family and friends. There's plenty of time for fun too - archery, swimming, crafts, and even a petting zoo!
For those who want to enjoy the festivities of the camp without staying over-night, there is a day-camper option that has been added this year.
To register for camp or learn more, please visit the camp page!
2019 Spring Festival Sponsors & Exhibitors
We like to thank all of our sponsors who help sponsor our divisions. The production of this festival would not be possible without the help of the sponsors below!
Guest Artist Sponsor:
Young Artist Sponsors:
Youth Artist Junior Sponsor:
Be sure to check out these exhibitors in room D-6 from 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM on April 14th: