Message from the President
Instead of our normal December newsletter, I wanted to share details about our upcoming Spring Festival in April 2020. This is our largest annual event, with attendees from Southern California and beyond! We have a few changes this year, so be sure to look through this newsletter carefully. Our website also has up-to-date information available.
I wish all of you a happy and healthy holiday season and will chat with you again in the new year!
Farah Zolghadr, President
When: April 5th, 2020
Where: The Cooper Music Center at Point Loma Nazarene University, San Diego, CA
Who will be there?
We're excited to have our 2020 Guest Artist all the way from the East Coast: Linda Chesis! She will lead a masterclass and give a recital on April 5th. We will also have pianist Makiko Hirata joining us again this year, performing with our Young Artist finalists and also with Linda Chesis at the recital.
We will also have a warm up artist (application details below) and several exhibitors with flutes, music, and accessories of all kinds.
We also hope you'll be there!
What's new this year?
The biggest new thing is that we'll have more competitions on April 4th. This year, the final rounds for all Youth Artist Divisions will join the final round our top-level Young Artist Division on April 4th. The Youth Artist Divisions will also have a preliminary recorded round, with a recording due on February 1st. The prize money for our Youth Artist and Young Artist Divisions has been increased to reflect the level of talent we see for those divisions.
For the Youth Artist and Young Artist Divisions, selected finalists will be invited to perform in a Winners' Recital the next day, on April 5th. This is a wonderful opportunity for all who are invited to share their talents with a broader audience!
February 1st will be here before you know it, so be sure to plan for getting your audio recordings in for these divisions!
What's Staying the Same?
We still have all our Festival Divisions on April 5th, along with exhibitors and classes during the day. At Point Loma, you can enjoy a wonderful lunch without even leaving campus, which is a huge bonus!
We encourage you to come and stay the whole day on this beautiful campus overlooking the ocean!
Okay, I want to get involved. How can I do that?
1) Compete in one of our numerous competitions
2) Attend as a non-competitor
3) Volunteer (we need LOTS of those!)
4) If you're a business owner, we're looking for exhibitors and monetary sponsors. Non-music sponsors are welcome! We can't put on our Spring Festival without your help!
5) Spread the word - we want as many people to know about SDFG as possible, so like us on Facebook and share a post!
6) If you're a flute teacher or performer, we're looking for help with listening to our recorded rounds as well as being our Spring Festival Warm Up Artist. To inquire about being a recorded round listening judge or send in a proposal for the Warm Up Artist, email us.
We're so excited to present the 2020 Spring Festival to all of you! We can't wait to see you there!