SAN DIEGO'S PREMIER FLUTE ORGANIZATION
Below is information on all of the SDFG Spring Festival Competitions. There are 16 competition divisions each year, including a highly competitive Young Artist Competition, 3 Youth Artist Divisions, 3 Specialty divisions, and 8 Festival Divisions.
Point Loma Nazarene University
1st Place Prize: $1000
2nd Place Prize: $500
3rd Place Prize: $250
Recorded Preliminary Round Repertoire
Final Round Repertoire / Program
If selected to perform in the live final round, contestants will play the following selections from the recorded preliminary round:
J.S. Bach ~ Partita in A Minor: I. Allemande (no repeats)
R. Muczynski ~ Three Preludes, Op. 18: III. Allegro molto
In addition to the unaccompanied pieces above, contestants will choose *one* of the following pieces (in its entirety) to perform live with a pianist:
Youth Artist Elementary
(through & including 6th grade)
1st Place Prize: $75
2nd Place Prize: $50
3rd Place Prize: $25
Compulsory Repertoire:1. M. Blavet – Sonata, Op. 2, No. 2 “La Vibray” (for flute and piano) (Barenreiter)
2. Piece of contestant’s choosing (not to exceed 4 minutes).
The total performance time (including tuning and set-up) is not to exceed 13 minutes. Please do not take any repeats.
Youth Artist Junior
(through & including 9th grade)
1st Place Prize: $100
2nd Place Prize: $75
3rd Place Prize: $50
1. Entrants should select *one* of the following complete Telemann Fantasies (for solo flute) without repeats, and ornamentation should be added as one would on the repeats.
G.P. Telemann – Fantasie No. 2, No. 6, *or* No. 12 (International)
Flute World |Carolyn Nussbaum
The total performance time (including tuning and set-up) is not to exceed 18 minutes. Please do not take any repeats.
Youth Artist Senior
(through & including 12th grade)
1st Place Prize: $150
2nd Place Prize: $100
3rd Place Prize: $75
1. J.M. Leclair – Sonata in E Minor, Op. 2 No. 1 (for flute and piano) (Schott)
Select *two* contrasting movements from the below listed movements:
I. Adagio, II. Allegro ma poco, III. Sarabanda, and IV. Allegro
Flute World | Carolyn Nussbaum
Total Time (including tuning and set-up) is not to exceed 18 minutes. Please do not take any repeats.
Register Here for Youth Artist Divisions
Register Here for the Piccolo Division
2. L.V. Beethoven - Leonore Overture No. 3, Op. 79
Excerpt 1 - Bar 1 through Bar 36
Excerpt 2 - Bar 328 through Bar 360
3. C. Debussy - Prélude à l’après-midi d’un faune (Très modéré)
Rehearsal 1 through Rehearsal 3
4. A. Dvorák - Symphony No. 8 in G Major, Op. 88, IV. Allegro ma non troppo
Allegro ma non troppo (full excerpt; take all repeats)
5. F. Mendelssohn - Incidental Music to A Midsummer Night’s Dream (Scherzo), Op. 61, Allegro vivace (full excerpt)
Entrants may choose to play with a piano accompanist or with recorded backing tracks. Please bring an appropriate electronic device (iPod, iPad, boom box with speakers) to play your backing tracks.
Students in the Jazz division will be evaluated on the following: